Paediatric First Aid Level 3
The Paediatric First Aid Level 3 is a requirement for many organisations responsible for the care of children. The course is designed for learners on the OFSTED Compulsory Register, working in an early years setting such as early years teachers, nursery workers and childminders.
The Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid teaches the essential aspects of dealing with emergencies in the event of an illness or an accident involving babies or young children.
There are two routes to obtaining this award. These options are detailed below. In either case the course content is essentially the same. Only the delivery methods differ.
Option 1 - Paediatric Online Blended
Paediatric Online Blended is an increasingly popular way to gain a Paediatric First Aid Qualification. Many nurseries, childminders and schools are now taking this option. The qualification provide a full Level 3 Paediatric Qualification meeting the standard set by Ofsted / EYFS.
You take the course in 2 parts:
• Part 1 – is studied on-line. You cover the key conditions and the ‘theory’ part of the course. It takes around 6 hours to complete but you can spread this out over a few days or nights or weeks if you wish. The cost for this part is £24.95.
• Part 2 – (Or Day 2) is classroom based – completing the practical assessments like CPR, Choking and the Recovery Position. This is one days training over 6 hrs. The fees for Part 2 depend on the number of participants. 12 is the maximum.
For Nurseries and Schools (or similar). We can set it up so you can enrol your own staff, and pay for part 1 online. We do run an Open Enrolment course in Brighton regularly. See details here.
Please discuss this option with us first. That we marry up the 2 parts of the course which is best for us to work together. This option can save you time and save you money. For experienced staff who have regularly completed the Paediatric First Aid qualification can obtain the qualification in a more efficient and comfortable way.
Option 2 - Paediatric Level 3, all classroom (2 day)
This is the traditional delivery method for the Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid. This option is probably best suited to learners who do not have the facility to undertake the first part of the blended option or who are not confident in the use of a computer.
Duration: 12 hours
Delivery: 2 days or flexible delivery
Delegates: maximum 12
Delegates need to wear practical clothing for training
- Planning for and dealing with first aid emergencies
- Resuscitating / child and infant CPR
- Choking –children and infant
- Dealing with shock, anaphylactic shock
- Electric shock
- Bleeding, burns and scalds
- Fractures, head, neck and back injuries
- Poisoning, bites and stings
- Foreign bodies in eyes, ears and noses
- Eye injuries
- Effects of extreme heat and cold
- Febrile convulsions
- Chronic medical conditions including epilepsy, asthma, sickle cell, diabetes
- Meningitis and other serious sudden illness.